Thursday, March 13, 2008

Fiery Fish Scales

I'm on a roll with these Cookie A sock patterns. Here's Pomatomus!

080311 pomatomus socks
Yarn: Mountain Colors Bearfoot (60% superwash wool/ 25% mohair/ 15% nylon)
Color: Firestorm
Needles: size 2 (2.75mm) dpns

For the longest time, I considered this pattern to be too hard for me to even think about knitting. I knew it was incredibly popular, but I couldn't see how to knit those curved fish scales. I admit that I hadn't even looked at the written pattern when I made that "informed" decision. Ha! Then, last month, I had such a good experience knitting the Monkey socks that I printed out the Pomatomus pattern and jumped right in. It really wasn't that hard. Yes, I made two changes to the pattern but I didn't really deviate from the pattern.

To get the twisted rib look for the fish scale definition, you have to knit through the back loop. However, for any decreases, it was physically hard for me to knit two stitches together through the back loop. Everytime I came to that point, my knitting would stall. So, I changed it to k2tog from the front, the regular way. No biggy. Once I made that change, everything was much easier.

080311 pomatomus socks2

I also made a regular slipped stitch heel, instead of the twisted rib heel. I know it interrupts the "scaly" pattern down the heel, but I really wanted a thick heel.

I used up almost the whole skein of yarn too. Not much for leftovers! Nice. Plus, I love the "fiery" red color.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those socks look really cool!

Simon

Virtuous said...

Those are AWESOME!!

And thanks for making feel like I can conqueor them too! ;o)

Virtuous said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog!

Will see you around in blogland! ;o)

bay area chickie said...

Wowie Stacey,
That's really great that you accomplished something you thought you'd never be able to do. Kudos to you!

Unknown said...

Wow Stacey,

I am really impressed by all the knitting you've done. It looks fabulous!

We really have to get together so you can help me out.

Vicki