Sunday, August 3, 2008

Clap-o-tee

080724 clapotis

Here's one of the most popular knitting projects in the world. Clapotis, pronounced Clap-o-tee, as I found out at the yarn store when asked about yarn suggestions for Clap-o-tiss. I've known about this pattern for a long time but never had the urge to knit it until I saw one in person.

I love the finished project but the knitting became monotonous. Took over two months to complete, mainly because I worked on other small projects. It didn't help that my yarn was so thin, sport-weight or heavyweight sock yarn. Using thicker, worsted weight yarn would've made this a faster knit. However, I bought this yarn especially for this project and was not going to give up and re-purpose the yarn. This is seawool which has a bit of seaweed, cellulose, and silver blended in with wool. The idea sounded cool, so I gave it a try. I bought the yarn from the Creatively Dyed Yarn booth at Stitches West this year. I met Dianne, the dyer/owner, and loved all of her handpainted skeins.

080724 clapotis2

Normally, I don't wear much pink, but I chose this colorway because it's different for me. There are flecks of bright turquoise, green, and yellow throughout the shawl. As I'm easily amused, seeing the changing colors as I knit kept me interested. It's sort of like a surprise to see what comes next.

080724 clapotis3

Can't say knitting this was a complete joy. It's one of those projects that you have to suffer through just to get the prize at the end. The knitting was boring, but the yarn was and is fantastic.

Pattern: Clapotis by Kate Gilbert
Yarn: Seawool (70% merino wool, 30% seacell) by Creatively Dyed Yarn, used 2 skeins
Needle: size 5 (3.75mm)

edit: Dianne, thanks so much! I'm glad you like it.

2 comments:

Virtuous said...

I luv how someone finally spelled it out how it sounds! :o) I of course call it "The Clap" Haha!

Beautiful color you selected for your Clap-o-tee! ;o)
Dianne is just great!!

Isn't it great to finally get our mini knitting "albatross" off our needles? Whew!

Happy Knitting over there Stacey!

*m said...

you have totally just saved me from some future yarn shop pronunciation faux pas embarrassment as i too thought it was cla-pot-tiss. thank you greatly! and your clap-o-tee is gorgeous. :)