Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Irish Hiking Hat

070127 irishhikinghat

Instant gratification. Right after I finished my green Bluebell sweater, I cast-on to make Nicole Reeves' Irish Hiking Hat for my mom. I used less than one ball of Cascade 220 Heathers, an extra skein from my purple Back to School vest. I had an FO in about three or four days. I love the cables and how the whole thing feels. I want one too. Or maybe Gretel. Anyway, I sort of misread Nicole's pattern; she wrote that I should repeat the cable pattern until I reached 7 inches. In a hurry, I glanced at the instructions and thought I should repeat the cable pattern 7 times. If I'd done that, the hat would've fit a Conehead. So, a few days later, I read the instructions again, caught my mistake, but had already reached 10 inches. Since I was going to make the hat a little longer to cover the ears, it was ok. So, I ended up with 5 cable repeats before I decreased to shape the crown. I didn't rip anything back; it was fine as is. Ok, it's big, but the comfort and warmth make up for that!

Next, I plan to make a hat for my dad. Other than the yellow garter stitch scarf (my first project ever) I made for him when I was 11, I haven't knit anything new for him in years. I'm not sure what pattern to make. I dread a plain 2x2 or 2x4 ribbed hat. I know it'll look fine in the end, but the knitting will be horrifically boring. Plus, he requested black yarn.

2 comments:

Virtuous said...

Hey thanks for commenting on my blog - I don't have your current e-mail addy could you please e-mail me?? crimsondiva1999@yahoo.com

Yep I messed up on the bust increases, but not b/c I didn't like them but b/c I didn't do enough! Hope to get back on track soon!

bay area chickie said...

Nice job on your hats. Can u make a small one where big corgi ears can come out of? hehehe.
Can't wait to see the one you make for your dad. He'll need it for the cny parade.