Monday, September 10, 2007

In The Works

Thank you to everyone who has been reading my blog and leaving comments! How I love comments! In my last two posts, I was surprised and delighted to receive three comments from the UK and also from Vickie Howell! I just started blogging recently, so it amazes me how quickly I can connect with people from all over and not just hope that my friends/husband will maybe take a peek if they remember :) Most of my friends are non-knitters, so this is probably not the most intriguing blog for them to read. Unless I post pictures of presents I'm making for them (which really I wouldn't do until after I've given it to you). Or post-reception like this:


I've been meaning to post this picture of Georgie and his blankie. According to the people he lives with, he likes playing with the blanket and seems to know it belongs to him. Hope he likes the second one too. Double the fun? Thanks, Georgie, for being a contented recipient!


Before, I've talked about knitting for the husband and how he doesn't have much knitwear from me. Since then, I've completed his new hat. Check. Now, he gets socks.

Basic stockinette sock pattern
Trekking Natura yarn (wool-bamboo blend)
brown multi color
size 1 (2.25mm) sharp, pointy metal dpns from Knitpicks

So far, I'm not loving this yarn. It's just ok. The bamboo seems to make the yarn a little hard but maybe after a wash, it'll soften? Also, this yarn seems a bit thinner than the other sock yarns I've worked with (Fleece Artist and Cherry Tree Hill), which makes the whole process seem to take longer. Anyway, I've made a little progress since I took the picture. I've turned the heel and am currently knitting round and round for the foot. Then I have to repeat it all for the second sock.

In the meantime, to give myself a break from the socks, I'm making a cable and lace scarf for myself.

The lacy bit is between the cable panels but you can't really see it unless you stretch it out. The pattern is my own but nothing fancy. I'm using Knitpicks' Andean Silk in Barn Red. Alpaca, silk, and wool blend. Very nice to touch! Anyway, this is my birthday yarn, sort of. I set up an online order and had my husband do the purchase as my birthday present. For some reason, he got confused about this part of the order and changed it without asking me. Originally, I chose three balls of olive green. He altered it to two balls of barn red. Why??!! I don't have enough to finish this scarf and will have to order more. I'll probably add more yarn to the order, since I ought to make the shipping cost worth my while :) I'm not too annoyed about it. It's a lovely yarn to work with and is such a welcome contrast to the thin sock yarn, as I alternate between the projects.

2 comments:

bay area chickie said...

Georgie loves his blanket!! =) He has been sleeping on it for the last 2 days since it's been getting chillier at night. Thank you so much. I will lay out his 2nd blanket and see his reaction. I think he enjoys exploring new gifts like this, he sniffs it, lays on it, scratches his back on it and then wraps himself around it. So cute!

leigh said...

Thanks for your comment. Even if you're not sure about the sugar maple colour, try Cherry Tree Hill. I've just discovered that it gets a lovely soft halo in the wash.

Bad Penny looks cool.